Complaints support

What if I do not feel able to complain myself?

If you do not feel able to complain yourself, your relative, carer or advocate can raise your complaint on your behalf. We will always respect patient confidentiality and will not share any information regarding a patient’s treatment or care with a third party without your written consent.

Is there any help available to me in making my complaint?

Yes. There is an advocacy service available for people living in Stoke-on-Trent and different one for people living in Staffordshire.

Staffordshire Advocacy

Healthwatch Staffordshire NHS Complaints Advocacy Service offers independent, impartial and confidential advice and support in pursuing complaints or concerns about the NHS.

Freephone: 0800 161 5600

Text: Healthwatch along with your name and number to 60006

In writing:

Healthwatch Staffordshire – NHS Complaints Advocacy Service
Suite 2, Opus House
Priestly Court
Staffordshire Technology Park
ST18 0LQ

The service operates between the hours of 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday. Messages left outside of office hours will be responded to within two working days.

Stoke-on-Trent Advocacy

Asist works alongside people with physical disabilities, learning disabilities or mental health conditions. It strives to ensure that there is support for people who have difficulty speaking out, so that they can have an equal voice in the choices and decisions that affect their lives.

Tel: 01782 845584

Text: 60777



Independent Advocacy Services

In addition to the services mentioned above, there are a number of alternative independent advocates available to assist you. For further information, please contact the Complaints Manager on 01782 275031 or email

Further details are also provided about advocacy in our Improving patient experience leaflet.


Monitor takes complaints about NHS care providers seriously. However, their duties do not include resolving individual complaints about healthcare providers. To see what Monitor can do to help you make a complaint, click here.

Information for hearing and speech impaired people

The Trust is committed to ensuring that all of our service users, carers and families can access our complaints service.

You can text any comments or concerns to 07718 971123. This text service is only available Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm and charged at your provider’s rate.

Alternative contact details for our Complaints Team can be found below.

Information available in other formats

We can provide information in another language, large print version, words and pictures, Braille and audio formats.

Please contact our Complaints Team to make a request. The team’s contact details are at the bottom of this page.

What happens to my complaint once it has been received by the Trust?

You will receive written confirmation that your complaint has been received. This acknowledgement of your complaint will be sent no later than three working days after the day on which the complaint was received.

A timescale for our response will be agreed with you. You will then receive a formal letter of response from the Chief Executive which will inform you of the outcome of the investigation and any recommendations.

What if I am not satisfied with the outcome of the investigation of my complaint?

Our aim is to resolve as many complaints as possible at a local level and therefore, if you are not satisfied following receipt of the Chief Executive’s response to your complaint you will be offered an opportunity to discuss your concerns personally with the relevant senior manager or doctor, if it is appropriate to do so.

What if my complaint cannot be resolved at a local level?

If you remain dissatisfied you may be offered the opportunity to meet with an Executive Director of the Trust, if relevant to the concerns raised and if it is appropriate to do so. For example, a meeting with the Medical Director may be offered if the complaint is related to medical matters.

Do I have any other options?

If you are dissatisfied with the response to your complaint from the Chief Executive you can request that the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman independently review your case. They are a completely independent body of the NHS and Government. Their services are available to everyone and are free of charge.

Contacting the Ombudsman

The Health Service Ombudsman
11th Floor, Millbank Tower

Tel: 0345 015 4033

This booklet provides further information on how the Trust aims to listen and respond to your concerns and it also contains valuable information on a number of subject areas.

Please do not hesitate to contact the Trust’s Complaints Manager on 01782 275031 for further information or advice on the complaints procedure.

Our Improving patient experience leaflet provides further information on how the Trust aims to listen and respond to your concerns and it also contains valuable information on a number of subject areas.

Contacting the Trust’s Complaints Team

Tel: 01782 275031

Freephone: 0800 389 9676 (emails are monitored Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm)

Text: 07718 971 123 (this text service is available Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm and charged at your provider’s rate)

In writing:

Peter Axon, Chief Executive
North Staffordshire Combined Healthcare NHS Trust
Lawton House
Bellringer Road

These contacts are not intended to be used for emergency purposes. Please contact the Access Team on 0800 0 328 728 (option 1), your GP, your care coordinator or the emergency services if you need urgent assistance.