Who’s who in CAMHS

We have several teams of doctors, nurses and other health care professionals in CAMHS who you may meet during your visit.


Our receptionists are the first people you will meet when you come into CAMHS. They will book you in and show you where to wait for your appointment, then let the person know that you have arrived. They are also responsible for making sure you get to speak to the right person when you phone us at CAMHS.


Child and adolescent psychiatry is a branch of psychiatry that focuses on the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of mental disorders in children, adolescents and their families.

CAMHS nurse

Psychiatric nurses, or child and adolescent mental health nurses are registered nurses who are trained in mental health.

Family therapist

Family therapists work with young people and their families together. If you are referred to a family therapist you might meet them regularly so they can help you manage the difficulties that are happening in your life. You can decide who comes to the meetings and what you will speak about.

Occupational therapist

Occupational therapists, or OTs for short, help people who have not been well or have had problems build up the confidence and skills needed to live a normal and fulfilling life. They may help with writing or exercises such as catching and throwing. They may also help with practical skills such as tying shoe laces.


Psychotherapists help you to understand why you feel the way you do, and what lies behind your responses to other people and to things that happen to you.

Art therapist

Art therapists help people express difficult thoughts and feelings through creative activities.

Play therapist

Play therapists help children to make sense of difficult life experiences or complex psychological issues through the activity of play.

Psychologist and assistant psychologist

A Psychologist can assess and help with young people’s psychological functioning, emotional wellbeing and development. There are different types of psychologists, but they all help with the way that you behave and the way you feel and think about things. Some of the psychologists you might meet are Clinical psychologists, and Educational psychologists.

Social worker

Social workers work with CYP and their families to support them through difficult times and ensure that children are safeguarded from harm. Their role is to provide support and help in order to improve outcomes in people’s lives.

Parenting practitioner

Parenting practitioners provide supportive measures to families to prevent as well as treat behavioural and emotional problems in children and teenagers, encouraging the child or young person to realise their potential.

Common mental health conditions – click here to find out more.